Aim or goal of position
To work alongside Day Therapy Centre and Inpatient Unit staff to transport patients (and on occasion relatives or carers) to and from the Hospice in Inverness or our Day Therapy service in Thurso.
Main responsibilities and suggested activities
- Collect patient at pre-arranged time from their homes
- Ensure safe transfer into car/Patient Transport Vehicle (PTV) following Moving and Handling procedures (training will be provided)
- On arrival at destination ensure safe transfer from vehicle using appropriate aids if necessary (e.g. wheelchair) or by asking other staff for assistance
- Escort patient to the Day Therapy Centre lounge or to the Inpatient Unit
Skills / attributes and/or qualification(s) required
- Good driving skills and use of your own car are essential
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable is essential
- Ability to communicate with patients is essential
- A sensitive, caring manner and an understanding of the importance of boundaries and confidentiality are essential
- Volunteer drivers must hold a full driving licence appropriate for the type of vehicle being driven and have a minimum of two years driving experience
- Volunteer drivers will be expected to be physically fit and their suitability will be governed by their ability to meet the health and capability requirements of the DVLA as you may be required to assist patients in and out of your vehicle
Estimated hoursVariable - volunteer drivers are not expected to undertake journeys in excess of seven hours in total. Usually required weekdays only.
Work siteDriving between the your own home, patient’s homes and Hospice centres in Inverness (Bishops Road) or Thurso (High Street).