Aim or goal of position
Ness Islands Railway is a 7 ¼ inches gauge miniature train. Our locomotives take passengers on an exciting journey over ½ mile long, bound to delight children and adults alike. The Railway has kiosk where cold drinks and snacks can be purchased.
Main responsibilities and suggested activities
- To provide high standards of customer care to all who visit the railway.
- To sell cold drinks and snacks to customers at the kiosk.
- To collect ticket fares from passengers
- To handle cash and operate the till and card machine
- To follow open / close down procedures for the railway including cashing up
- To follow organisation guidelines to contribute to the smooth operation of the railway.
- To look after the safety of the passengers and visitors at the train and at the station.
- To help with some maintenance tasks such as landscaping, cleaning, etc.
Skills / attributes and/or qualification(s) required
- A commitment to delivering excellent customer care is essential
- A friendly and outgoing personality is essential
- Confidence in dealing with money is essential – volunteers are expected to be able to carry out all functions in the railway (as outlined in the responsibilities above)
- Good problem solving skills would be helpful
- Willing to learn how to operate and do the maintenance of the engines and railway tracks would be desirable but not essential
- Some mechanical or engineering skills would be desirable but not essential
Estimated hoursVariable - the Railway is open daily through the summer. Commitment to a regular shift is ideal but not essential.
Work siteNess Islands Railway, Whin Park, Inverness