Aim or goal of position
To provide a warm, friendly and professional welcome to visitors and callers to the Hospice. Ness House reception is located at the front of the building and is the main hub of activity dealing with all aspects of Hospice services.
Main responsibilities and suggested activities
- Provide a warm, friendly and professional welcome to visitors and callers to the Hospice.
- Answer telephone calls in a professional manner and operate the switchboard.
- Taking and passing on messages in line with our procedures.
- Dealing with enquiries either on the phone or face to face – this will require good problem solving skills and use of initiative.
- To work with the Ward Clerk and Visitor Liaison volunteers to ensure that communication is well maintained (especially regarding visitors, admissions, discharges and deaths).
- Keep up to date with current information about the Hospice and about events.
- Ensure the smooth flow of communication by informing other volunteers coming on shift.
- Maintain a tidy reception area.
- To assist the wider Hospice team (upon request) with ad hoc tasks such as stuffing envelopes, folding raffle tickets, and/or other activities dependent on volunteer knowledge, skills, and experience.
Skills / attributes and/or qualification(s) required
- Excellent customer service skills (telephone and face to face) are essential
- Excellent communication skills are essential
- A warm, friendly, and outgoing personality are essential
- Excellent team working skills are essential
- Initiative and a willingness to help out where required is essential
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change are essential attributes for this post.
- Ability to use email is essential (we can provide support in this area)
- Computer skills such as using Word and Excel are not essential but having experience may open up other administrative tasks
Estimated hours3 or 4 hours per shift. 9am-1pm; 1pm-5pm; 5pm-8pm. Seven days per week.
Work siteNess House, Highland Hospice, Inverness