The Complementary Therapy Service operates with support and advice from the Medical team. You can make a direct referral to the service and should the person require support from the wider Hospice team an internal referral can be made.
What the service can offer
Complementary Therapies include treatments such as aromatherapy, massage therapy, reflexology, relaxation techniques (including mindfulness and meditation), natural nutrition and tai chi/qigong.
We also offer a 12-week Health and Wellbeing Programme (which can be delivered via Zoom) and integrates tai chi and mindfulness/meditation. This programme addresses issues related to:
Who to refer
The Highland Hospice Complementary Therapy Service welcomes referrals for people living in the Highlands with a life limiting condition, who may benefit from the support of this palliative care service. The support may be given to help people adjust to living with illness, as intermittent referrals for short periods, or to support with end of life care.
Complementary Therapies can support the following areas:
- Emotional and Psychological support – anxiety/fear (overwhelmed by situation); Coping with life limiting illness
- Physical symptoms – support of symptoms which are being treated by orthodox medicine such as constipation, pain and nausea
- Aromatherapy can help with some of the side effects of chemotherapy e.g. peripheral neuropathy, cracking and itching skin. We can also work alongside District/Specialist Nurses to help with the management of fungating wounds.
- As part of an integrated approach with other healthcare professionals to help management of symptoms such as breathlessness and fatigue
- Tai Chi can help with mobility/falls
Referrals to other Highland Hospice services
Patients remain under the medical care of their GP whilst accessing the Complementary Therapy Service.
To make a referral for medical outpatient review, bereavement support or the Helping Hands befriending service please contact Clinical Administration Support on 01463 227919, 01463 227901 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For referrals to the Inpatient Unit please contact the Consultant on Duty, via Clinical Administration Support.