What is Last Aid?
Many people want to die at home, yet in western countries most die in institutions like hospitals and nursing homes. The Last Aid project helps to educate the community about the basics of palliative care and care for dying people. These courses are delivered using materials developed by Last Aid International.
More than 8,500 people have already participated in Last Aid courses and more than 1,000 trainers have been trained across many European countries including Denmark, Switzerland, Germany, Slovenia, Lithuania, Austria and Scotland.
What does Highland Hospice offer?
Last Aid is a simple course delivered on the Zoom platform. Last Aid aims to create awareness and discussion on topics related to Death and Dying. It is an interactive course, with two instructors and up to 20 participants. The instructors will aim to give practical tips on how you can provide comfort to someone who is dying, and what you can do to plan for your own and your family's future.
The topics discussed are delivered in 4 sections:
1. Dying as a normal part of life
2. Planning Ahead
3. Relieving Suffering
4. Final Goodbyes
Opportunity is provided for participants to get involved with the discussions.
This topic was most interesting for me:
- “death plan/funeral plan, recognition that end of life care can be difficult and stressful”
- “Normalising death can only be a positive and increasing the awareness around final stages of life”
I have gained confidence with:
- “those in the last stages of life, and more importantly, those attempting to come to terms with relative in the last stages of life”
- “broaching the subject of death and dying”
- “end of life care, supporting colleagues, friends and families. Also got me thinking about my own personal circumstances”
- “what I need to do for myself and my family”
Dates and Registration
You can find dates for upcoming Last Aid courses on our Support and Learning Opportunities page.
Donate to Highland Hospice today
We need to raise over £7,000 every day to support the delivery of Hospice services across the Highlands.