Crocus Group is a support service for bereaved children in Highland. It is not a traditional counselling service. Activities volunteers help to facilitate group programmes where young people can make memories, share their stories and explore healthy ways to cope with difficult feelings and manage their grief, thus building resilience.
Main responsibilities and suggested activities
The responsibilities of an Activities Volunteer can be varied, depending on experience and skills, but mainly include the following:
- Help with practical tasks such as setting up craft activities, cleaning and tidying
- Lead creative activities and contribute to reviewing outcomes of group programmes
- Facilitate conversations with young people around loss and change
- Develop positive, trusting relationships with young people aged 5-18
- Help to facilitate a positive group environment by modelling and encouraging non-judgmental listening, inclusion and respect for confidentiality
- Be a supportive presence for young people experiencing emotional distress
- Attend two annual support meetings with your supervisor (the Service Manager)
- Attend occasional Crocus Group team meetings
- Attend induction, and mandatory training and commit to at least two other training sessions annually (a record of this will be kept on your file)
- Work within Crocus Group’s policies, including Data Protection, Child Protection and Health & Wellbeing
- Communicate any concerns with the Service Manager
- Support volunteers will not usually conduct any unsupervised activities with children, however, occasions may arise where a volunteer has unsupervised contact with a child and/or a vulnerable adult.
Skills / attributes and/or qualification(s) required
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to relate to young people
- The ability to be around people in distress and remain calm
- Good understanding of professional boundaries
- Ability to work with a team; volunteers in this role will work alongside staff/other volunteers
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- A non-judgmental approach which does not project one’s own experiences or values onto a young person and/or their family
- Able to start where the young person is at and respond in a way which builds trust
- Meet the requirements of a PVG Disclosure check
- Sensitive, caring and friendly nature.
- Committed, reliable, dependable, flexible and punctual
- Minimum age 16
Click here to sign up as a crocus volunteer.