Aim or goal of position
To drive the fundraising and retail van which transports donated goods to and from our shops for selling to the public and to drive the van and help out at occasional fundraising events. These activities are a crucial part of income generation for Highland Hospice.
Main responsibilities and suggested activities
- To drive the van from Inverness to various Highland locations to transport goods for selling to the public. Locations include Alness, Aviemore, Dornoch, Forres, Fort William, Grantown, Nairn, Portree, Tain, Thurso and Wick.
- To work with the Van Driver’s Assistant to move various items in and out of the van.
- From time to time there may be additional requests to transport and/or collect items out with normal shifts.
- Drivers may also choose to help at fundraising events, these are arranged on an ad hoc basis.
- To observe all health and safety regulations and policies in regard to safe driving and manual handling.
Skills / attributes and/or qualification(s) required
- A full driving licence (preferably without endorsements) held for at least 2 years
- Must enjoy driving
- Reliability is crucial to the effective and efficient running of this service
- Van drivers must be aged 25 and over (for insurance purposes)
- Must be able to work as part of a team
- All Volunteer Van Drivers must pass a driving assessment before commencing the role. The assessment is arranged by Highland Hospice at no cost to the volunteer
- A good level of fitness is required for this role as it can be physically demanding when lifting and moving items
Estimated hoursVan leaves from the Hospice before 8.30am and volunteers are out for between 3 and 6 hours (dependent on destination). Volunteers should ideally be able to commit to one day per week or fortnight but at least one day a month.
Work siteVan is based at Highland Hospice, 1 Bishops Road, Inverness, IV3 5SB