"I really enjoy volunteering. It’s inspired me to meet new people, build my confidence, and develop as a person."
- Emma, Highland Leader Programme Volunteer
Aim or goal of position
To work with the Highland Hospice staff to build an interesting and enjoyable “Hospice Leader Programme” for future groups to participate in. In doing this, you will learn about the work that we do and how we do it in order to inspire you and others to support us.
Main responsibilities and suggested activities
- To participate in a building orientation tour
- Take part in appropriate training e.g. organisation induction, food hygiene, moving and handling
- We will expect you to get involved in at least one of our events such as supporting our Santa’s Grotto or cheering runners at the half marathon
- To attend team meetings to share experiences and give staff feedback
- Try out some of our regular volunteering roles (where appropriate) such as café, kitchen, retail, Fundraising Events (age dependant), Day Therapy
- To go with the Community Fundraiser into schools to help promote the Hospice to Youth Philanthropy Initiatives, Junior Apprentice and Young Apprentice groups
- Work with a group of staff to help inform future Leader programmes, in areas such as recruitment, communication, rewards/recognition, support and supervision
- To work within the boundaries set by the Hospice
Skills / attributes and/or qualification(s) required
- Minimum age of 14 applies
- You must be registered and referred through the Highlife Highland Leadership programme. Contact Elizabeth McDonald, Leadership Programme Development Officer (Elizabeth.McDonald@highlifehighland.com) or tweet @HLHSocial
Estimated hoursA total of at least 25 hours of volunteering
Work siteMost work will be carried out at Highland Hospice, Ness House, 1 Bishop’s Road, Inverness, IV3 5SB. Volunteering opportunities are also available in some of our shops.