“When I first began volunteering over 30 years ago, before the Hospice even existed, we had to work hard to convince people that a Hospice was needed in the Highlands. Seeing the excellent standard of palliative care which is delivered today makes me feel so honoured to play a role in its running. It truly is a special place.” Louise MacKenzie, Ward Clerk
Aim or goal of position
Volunteer Ward Clerks are based within the Inpatient Unit and play a key role in supporting the nursing team. Ward Clerks deal with visitors, phone calls, and (during weekday shifts) administrative duties, allowing our nurses to give 100% attention to patients. We currently have vacancies at the weekend for this role. These shifts can be quieter than weekday shifts but are equally as valuable to the nursing staff as you will be welcoming visitors to the unit and answering the phone.
Main responsibilities and suggested activities
- Take incoming calls and refer calls to appropriate clinical staff
- Meet and greet visitors
- Fax appointments
- Arrange volunteer patient transport
- Arrange nursing cover
- General admin duties
Skills / attributes and/or qualification(s) required
- Ability to deal with telephone enquiries in a calm and professional manner
- Ability to work within a team
- Ability to use your initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to deal with sensitive situations
- Some IT skills
- Some office experience is desirable
- A good sense of humour
Estimated hours3 or 4 hours per shift. 9am-1pm; 1pm-5pm; 5pm-8pm. Seven days per week.
Work siteInpatient Unit, Highland Hospice, Inverness.