“When I first began volunteering over 30 years ago, before the Hospice even existed, we had to work hard to convince people that a Hospice was needed in the Highlands. Seeing the excellent standard of palliative care which is delivered today makes me feel so honoured to play a role in its running. It truly is a special place.” Louise MacKenzie, Ward Clerk
Aim or goal of position
Volunteer Ward Clerks are based within the Inpatient Unit and play a key role in supporting the nursing team. Ward Clerks deal with visitors, phone calls, and (during weekday shifts) administrative duties, allowing our nurses to give 100% attention to patients.
Main responsibilities and suggested activities
- Take incoming calls and refer calls to appropriate clinical staff
- Meet and greet visitors
- Fax appointments
- Arrange volunteer patient transport
- Arrange nursing cover
- General admin duties
Skills / attributes and/or qualification(s) required
- Ability to deal with telephone enquiries in a calm and professional manner
- Ability to work within a team
- Ability to use your initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to deal with sensitive situations
- Some IT skills
- Some office experience is desirable
- A good sense of humour
Estimated hours3 or 4 hours per shift. 9am-1pm; 1pm-5pm; 5pm-8pm. Seven days per week.
Work siteInpatient Unit, Highland Hospice, Inverness.